Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Sermon Jan 23-24, 2016

Title: Everything is fulfilled in Jesus for you!
Text: Luke 4:16-30

18 “The Spirit of the Lord is upon me,
    because he has anointed me
    to proclaim good news to the poor.
He has sent me to proclaim liberty to the captives
    and recovering of sight to the blind,
    to set at liberty those who are oppressed,
19 to proclaim the year of the Lord's favor.”

G.K. Chesterton once said, “It is often supposed that when people stop believing in God, they believe in nothing. [But], it is worse than that. When they stop believing in God, they believe in anything.” Without God the only standard of TRUST - of right and wrong - is what appeals to you. And that’s a shifting standard. It all depends on what I want, what I like, what I accept, what pleases me. But scripture says: “All have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God”

My standards are all warped. My morality is riddled with impurity. And if I base what I TRUST on that warped and impure life, then I’m going to embrace whatever gods allow me to do what I want to do. When I stop trusting in the God of Scripture [and his word] and believe anything, and eventually that will lead me to destruction. But now, by contrast, if I trust in the God of Scripture I’m no longer led by MY righteousness and holiness. Instead I trust a God who is so holy and so righteous that my tendency will be to build my life around Him - rather than Him around me.

Jeff Strite - Sermon Central

It is comforting to know that:

Everything is fulfilled in Jesus for you!

20 And [Jesus] rolled up the scroll and gave it back to the attendant and sat down. And the eyes of all in the synagogue were fixed on him. 21 And he began to say to them, “Today this Scripture has been fulfilled in your hearing.” 22 And all spoke well of him and marveled at the gracious words that were coming from his mouth. And they said, “Is not this Joseph's son?”

You can almost see the surprised look on the faces in the synagogue.  Was that the carpenter’s son - Jesus? The one who made the table for the house? Is that Jesus? The man who fixed the door and helped with the roof?  Gracious words they thought, but from the carpenter’s son? What’s up with that?

We’ve been there and done that too. Familiarity at time breeds commonness. But here, Jesus the word of God in human form is proclaiming the word of God fulfilled in him. Though they know him … the word of God is no less real. So too we who speak or hear God’s word; it is no less real because it is said by a friend or relative or through God’s call and ordained servants.

My dad may have felt some of that too. He came to my ordination three years ago and sat through the service. He saw his son take on a new role as servant of Christ call and ordained to serve the people here at Peace Lutheran Church. My brother told me after my dad’s passing that my dad was surprised and pleased … and maybe a bit taken back. My brother told me what my dad said after seeing me ordained, “You know, I don’t think I give Russell enough credit. He’s married over 30 years, worked in the piano business for over 30 years and now he’s a pastor and starting something new.”

What I think my dad was saying is much like those in our reading today who hear the word of God and say, “Isn’t this Joseph’s son, isn’t this Jesus … or in my dad’s case isn’t this my son Russ, the one who couldn’t play baseball well enough to make the team, the one I had to show how to fix a car, and the one I had to … on occasion … take my belt off and bend him over to teach him a lesson.”

It’s all true … except for the belt stuff! But I think my dad was taken back a bit. You see … God’s word is true whether Jesus proclaims it, or whether I proclaim it ... or you. It’s true no matter if a pastor says it, or if you, in talking to your friend … say it. God’s word is always true.

24 And [Jesus] said, “Truly, I say to you, no prophet is acceptable in his hometown.

It’s not just the hometown but there is a tendency to not see those who are given to rightly divide the word of truth and administer the sacraments at times with the respect they deserve. I’m as guilty as the next guy.

 When I was at St. John our senior pastor, whom I had great respect for, received and accepted a call to a church in Illinois. I, as a new Lutheran, was devastated. Our associate pastor was called to be the Administrative pastor after a long call process that was unfruitful. I was having lunch with a few friends and this also included my friend Pastor Paul Monson – the same pastor that would end up preaching at my ordination some 15 years later. I made a comment as we discussed some of the things that were going on at church and referred to Pastor Heuser as … Pastor Loser. Well, Paul was none too happy with me and told me so. “Russ – watch your mouth! He is your pastor and you need to show him respect as the one whom God has placed over you.”

He was right. And though there was plenty of blame that could have gone around to both Pastor Heuser and the church leadership, respecting the office of under shepherd was one I had forgotten. Ultimately God moved Pastor Heuser on with a call to a smaller church on the west coast, and we as a church remained without a shepherd for some time. I and a number of others left the church and some went into ministry. What still amazes me is that during a time of brokenness and dysfunction, God remained faithful. Even while things seemed at times out of control, God was in control leading seven men, sooner or later, on their way to eventual ordination and ministry serving God’s church.

At times we only see the dysfunction and brokenness. There was much anger in God’s church then and as our reading says today. They wanted what had been done in Capernaum.

25 But in truth, I tell you, there were many widows in Israel in the days of Elijah, when the heavens were shut up three years and six months, and a great famine came over all the land, 26 and Elijah was sent to none of them but only to Zarephath, in the land of Sidon, to a woman who was a widow.

We want God to be who we want him to be and to do for us what we want him to do.

27 And there were many lepers in Israel in the time of the prophet Elisha, and none of them was cleansed, but only Naaman the Syrian.”

28 When they heard these things, all in the synagogue were filled with wrath.

God’s son and God’s words get rejected. Jesus gets the ultimate rejection when the people cry … “crucify him!” God’s servants are sent just as the 12 disciples were sent and just as the 70 were sent and they too and our pastors today are sent and will face rejection and suffering too.

What we have heard you did at Capernaum, do here in your hometown as well. The people want what they want and we do too. We want God’s miracles not persecution. We want healing not sickness and why would one be healed and another suffer and die. More importantly we want answers that we want to hear. Bear in mind that God’s pastors are sinful too and also fall victim to temptation and say and do things that cause problems. But we can only control how we ourselves react to the sin against us.

18 “The Spirit of the Lord is upon me,
    because he has anointed me
    to proclaim good news to the poor.
He has sent me to proclaim liberty to the captives
    and recovering of sight to the blind,
    to set at liberty those who are oppressed,
19 to proclaim the year of the Lord's favor.”

Good News … Jesus is God and as such he has done it all … for you.

29 And they rose up and drove him out of the town and brought him to the brow of the hill on which their town was built, so that they could throw him down the cliff.

Though rejected by the people, Jesus still went to the cross … for them and … for you. He also gave them a miracle but not the one they were asking for or expecting:

30 But passing through their midst, he went away …

… only to finish his work and make peace with God … for you.

In the name of the Father and of the Son + and of the Holy Spirit.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment