Thursday, March 16, 2017

Sermon March 15, 2017 Lent 2

Title: The Seven Words of Christ! The Third Word: "Assuredly, I say to you, today you will be with Me in Paradise."
Text: Luke 23:35-43
 
Readings: Genesis 3:8-24, Revelation 2:1-7, Luke 23:35-43

43 And he said to him, “Truly, I say to you, today you will be with me in paradise.”

We know very little about heaven, but one theologian once described it as "an unknown region with a well-know inhabitant," and there is not a better way to think of it than that.

Richard Baxter expresses the thought in these lines:

My knowledge of that life is small,
The eye of faith is dim,
But it's enough that Christ knows all,
And I shall be with him.

To those who have learned to love and trust Jesus, the prospect of meeting him face to face and being with him forever is the hope that keeps us going, no matter what life may throw at us.

James Packer, Your Father Loves You, Harold Shaw Publishers, 1986.

In Genesis we have a picture of this paradise and a union of God and man living together in harmony. It is though, through our own sinful mind’s eye, hard to imagine what this really will be like. We can come up with an idea though.

Ill.

Last year I took a walk out back into the woods behind the church to clear my head. At times sermon preparation requires that time away and I walked around the pavilion but decided to walk through the 10 acres that are undeveloped behind the church. It didn’t take long for me to see a paradise only a short distance away from the church and parking lot. I understand why the kids want to hang out there – no blacktop, no houses, no fences for much of it and it feels like a walk up North … for a time. 

But looks can be deceiving.

8 And they heard the sound of the LORD God walking in the garden in the cool of the day, and the man and his wife hid themselves from the presence of the LORD God among the trees of the garden.

Then … back in the woods you see … the brokenness … the weeds throughout, and garbage and discarded junk … things of no further value left there when no one was looking.

9 But the LORD God called to the man and said to him, “Where are you?” 

As I walked through the property I almost wondered where the caretaker was and why this beautiful place was left in disarray. Hearing no one I kept walking. 

God kept walking too.

10 And [the man] said, “I heard the sound of you in the garden, and I was afraid, because I was naked, and I hid myself.” 

At times we have had intruders on the property. Sometimes they bring their machines … dirt bikes and race around the trails. I’ve tried to talk to them and follow them in the back but when they see me they flee or hide … perhaps they know that they are breaking the law and trespassing and just want to hide their sin too. Or … they are fearful of what I might say or do?

But God said to the man:

11 ... “Who told you that you were naked? Have you eaten of the tree of which I commanded you not to eat?” 

Maybe the guys on the dirt bikes are the ones that broke the pole that kept motorbikes off the vacant land? Maybe they’ve seen the sign and the gate – closed after church activities -and figured a different way to the back. 

When you get exposed where you shouldn’t be it feels a bit like being naked and you flee or hide.

12 The man said, “The woman whom you gave to be with me, she gave me fruit of the tree, and I ate.”

When I have had luck to speak to them there is always someone else who is to blame.

After one guy fled through the subdivision I had an appointment and got in my truck to leave and as I did I saw him loading his bike on a trailer … he doesn’t even live in the area. I stopped and said to him, “Hi, I’m the pastor of the church and that lot is our property and we don’t allow motorbikes on it for liability reasons; just wanted to let you know.” “Oh, he said, my friend’s parents said it was okay to use it … they’re members.”
 
“Who are your friend’s parents?” “The Johnsons;” came the reply. 

“Well we don’t allow motor bikes … I hope you understand? Have a great day.”

Sin has consequences.

13 Then the LORD God said to the woman, “What is this that you have done?” The woman said, “The serpent deceived me, [he told me it was okay] and I ate.”

There are probably snakes in the grass and on the property out back too. If someone was back there and got bit it might bring a law suit … not to mention the pain and suffering or an accident, or even death if one fell off the motorbike and got hurt.

But someone did … because of sin … die.

On another day and at another time, with the weather being nice … it’s the kind of day you might like to be outside for a few hours enjoying the weather … then you see it … something else is stirring, something else is about. 

Someone getting hurt is not even a concern. There are though some that will die … and some who are there to administer death.

35 And the people stood by, watching, but the rulers scoffed at him, saying, “He saved others; let him save himself, if he is the Christ of God, his Chosen One!”

Those being condemned are there for a reason. Two are thieves by trade and have been found guilty and are receiving what they have earned … which is death for their crimes but the other … what has he done? 

Even the solders, the executioners, join in the mocking. 

36 … coming up and offering him sour wine 37 and saying, “If you are the King of the Jews, save yourself!” 

One of those caught and rightly condemned taunts Jesus saying, “Are you not the Christ? Save yourself and us!”

Jesus, mockingly was told to save himself by those ready to kill him, he was told to save himself and us by one who would be killed. He is at times mocked by us too as we fail daily to see him for who he is ... our blessed Lord and savior. 

He was there not because he had to be but because he chose to be … a long time ago … in a garden long forgotten … where God said to the serpent:

15 I will put enmity between you and the woman,
and between your offspring and her offspring;
he shall bruise your head,
and you shall bruise his heel.”

The feet of Jesus being bruised and nailed to the cross and his arms outstretched in pain are there for a purpose, along with those crucified with him. Death is real and death will come to all whether by accident, or old age, or punishment. 

Three would die but one … by faith brings forgiveness.

40 … saying, “Do you not fear God, since you are under the same sentence of condemnation? 41 And we indeed justly, for we are receiving the due reward of our deeds; but this man has done nothing wrong.” 42 And he said, “Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom.”

Simple faith turns death into life, paradise restored, and union with God real. 

It is that for you and me as well. Death will come but so will eternal life, because it is God’s promise. The enmity or deep rooted hatred that God has for sin, death, and the devil … has been removed through the seed of the woman, Christ Jesus our Lord … and as he dies he gives life to all by faith who trust in him.

43 And he said to him, “Truly, I say to you - today you will be with me in paradise.” No weeds, no sin … and no more death.

You, who have ears to hear … hear this wonderful news, God in Christ Jesus, has restored paradise for you. 

Today by faith paradise is yours!

In the name of the Father, + Son and Holy Spirit

Amen




No comments:

Post a Comment