Thursday, April 6, 2017

Sermon April 5, 2017 Lent 5

Title: The Seven Words of Christ! The Sixth and Seventh Word: "It is finished!" (Jn. 19:30) "Father, 'into Your hands I commit My spirit.' “(Lk. 23:46)
Text: John 19:30 and Luke 23:46 
Readings: Psalm 31:1-8, Leviticus 16:29-34, John 19:30; Luke 23:44-47 

30 When Jesus had received the sour wine, he said, “It is finished,” and he bowed his head and gave up his spirit. John 19:30

46 Then Jesus, calling out with a loud voice, said, “Father, into your hands I commit my spirit!” And having said this he breathed his last. Luke 23:46

As we finish our last midweek Lenten service and the seven words of Christ from the cross we look forward to Palm Sunday, Holy Week and Christ’s death on Good Friday, his rest in the tomb, and his glorious resurrection for the life of the world on Easter Sunday.

The priest, the sacrifice and the people

33 He shall make atonement for the holy sanctuary, and he shall make atonement for the tent of meeting and for the altar, and he shall make atonement for the priests and for all the people of the assembly.

Every year the high Priest on the tenth day of the seventh month would make sacrifice. Two male goats and a ram would be used. One sacrificed to purify the people as an offering for sin, one sacrificed as a burnt offering and one to carry the sins of the people away. Each year and every year on the tenth day of the seventh month this would occur.

32 And the priest who is anointed and consecrated as priest in his father's place shall make atonement, wearing the holy linen garments.

Usually the priest was adorned in royal garments but today in humility and in a simple linen garment he would serve on behalf of the people who fasted and prayed. Today, a day like no other, where no work or labor was done … he worked … in service for them. Sacrificing a bull to purify himself first he made ready the sacrifice.

The sacrifice made, the blood flowed, sprinkled and dripped and the work was done. The priest lay both hands on the head of the scapegoat confessing all the sins of the people – their wickedness and rebellion - and the goat was sent away from the people into the wilderness to carry the sins of the people away until next year.

31 In you, O LORD, do I take refuge;
let me never be put to shame;
in your righteousness deliver me!
2 Incline your ear to me;
rescue me speedily!
Be a rock of refuge for me,
a strong fortress to save me!

Another priest, another rescue another sacrifice

He wore a simple garment. He was accused, convicted and condemned – stricken, smitten and afflicted he was not sprinkled but scourged. The hands laid on him … nailed, taunted and reviled. 

“He saved others” they would say “Let him save himself!”

He was not here to save himself but to finish what had occurred every year on the tenth day of the seventh month. He would be no scapegoat but would be the rescue. He would be the priest purified for his work; he would be the sacrifice, the Lamb of God that takes away the sins of the world; and he would be rescue conquering sin, death and the devil for the life of the world.

It is finished would come from his lips as the work of redemption was done.

3 For you are my rock and my fortress;
and for your name's sake you lead me and guide me;
4 you take me out of the net they have hidden for me,
for you are my refuge.
5 Into your hand I commit my spirit;
you have redeemed me, O LORD, faithful God.

Once for all

Not just the sins of God’s chosen Israel, not just the sins of his church who believe in him but the sins of the whole world would be laid upon the man Jesus. He would take your sin and mine and the sins of those who reviled him and the sins of those who accused him and the sins of those who killed him.

It is finished completes his course. It is finished completes his race. Peace with the Father is restored by a perfect Priest and a perfect sacrifice and in him sin is finished. But deception is real, the tempter is real, and he desires to lie and deceive and lead away. But God will never leave you for he knows your pain and he suffered your shame.

6 I hate those who pay regard to worthless idols,
but I trust in the LORD.
7 I will rejoice and be glad in your steadfast love,
because you have seen my affliction;
you have known the distress of my soul,
8 and you have not delivered me into the hand of the enemy;
you have set my feet in a broad place.

Into the Father’s hand he has committed his spirit and you to in the loving hands of Jesus have been delivered.

Holy is the Lamb.

He came to save all Israel. Holy is the Lamb.
The Father’s favor rested there. Holy is the Lamb
A Prophet or a holy man, who do you say I am?
You are the Christ, the living God. Holy is the Lamb.

The dead are raised, the blind can see. Holy is the Lamb.
While dead to sin, no thought of him. Holy is the Lamb.
The word of God can change the heart, in his eternal plan.
Salvation lies in Jesus Christ. Holy is the Lamb.

The plan was laid to give him up. Holy is the Lamb.
To crucify the Son of Man. Holy is the Lamb.
He paid the price that God commands, the price that sin demands.
He gave his life this Jesus Christ. Holy is the Lamb.

They placed him in an earthen tomb. Holy is the Lamb.
And waited in an upper room. Holy is the Lamb.
The call went out. “He isn’t there!” Where did they take the man?
The Son has risen from the dead. Holy is the Lamb.

The bread of life came down for us. Holy is the Lamb.
The once eternal sacrifice. Holy is the Lamb.
He will not lose a single one. None taken from his hand.
Salvation’s price was Jesus Christ. Holy is the Lamb

Russell Tkac 2017

In the name of the Father, + Son and Holy Spirit

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment