Tuesday, May 28, 2019

Sermon May 25-26, 2019

Title: Christ has overcome so that you too overcome!
Text: John 16:23-33

In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world.”

The narrative from our gospel reading from last week continues today. Jesus is speaking to his disciples of his death and resurrection, sorrow at his death that turns to joy at his resurrection. Jesus also promised the comforter, the Holy Spirit that would speak not on his own authority but in unity with the Father and the Son would speak and remind them all that Jesus had said.

14 He will glorify me, for he will take what is mine and declare it to you.15 All that the Father has is mine; therefore I said that he will take what is mine and declare it to you. John 16:14-15

In the world you will have tribulation is one of the many promises of God and certainly one promise none of us wish to claim or experience. But none the less it is what we face in this life.

What do we do and where do we look when the storms of life come?

The loss of a job, death of a loved one, financial hardship or the breakup of a marriage are all part of the the trials of life. You and I know this all too well.

The disciples too, as we learned from last week’s gospel reading, would face sorrow and joy in Jesus’ death and resurrection but that joy would also face the trials of life.

Our Bible Study in the book of Acts that we’ve spent this year studying began with the sending of the Holy Spirit and Jesus’ ascension to the Father.

5 for John baptized with water, but you will be baptized with the Holy Spirit not many days from now.” Acts 1:5

9 And when he had said these things, as they were looking on, he was lifted up, and a cloud took him out of their sight. 10 And while they were gazing into heaven as he went, behold, two men stood by them in white robes, 11 and said, “Men of Galilee, why do you stand looking into heaven? This Jesus, who was taken up from you into heaven, will come in the same way as you saw him go into heaven.”

Jesus’ departure was seen and his return promised … but what about the disciples? What about their struggles? Soon, the Holy Spirit would come to be their comforter, pointing them to all Jesus said and did for them and leading them into all truth.

Maybe the words of Christ now too come to their remembrance?

23 In that day you will ask nothing of me. Truly, truly, I say to you, whatever you ask of the Father in my name, he will give it to you.

How? Where? When and Why? In what way should we ask, the disciples might have thought? Their minds might have returned to the Lord’s teaching on prayer.

9 Pray then like this:
“Our Father in heaven,
hallowed be your name.
10 Your kingdom come,
your will be done,
on earth – right here - as it is in heaven.
11 Give us this day our daily bread,
12 and forgive us our debts,
as we also have forgiven our debtors.
13 And lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from evil.

No more need for prophets no need for Jesus to pray to the Father on our behalf. That which had been broken in the fall is now restored in Christ. “It is finished!” Christ exclaimed. We have peace with God!

In the time of my own mother’s suffering with cancer and my tribulation in this life, this prayer motivated by God’s Spirit brought me peace.

27 for the Father himself loves you, [Jesus says] because you have loved me and have believed that I came from God.

This plainness of speech perked up the disciples ears! “Ah, now you are speaking plainly!” they exclaim … but the trials of life will still come.

St. Luke continued to show these trials through the book of Acts:

Stephen is martyred, Peter imprisoned, and Paul goes to Jerusalem knowing that he will be bound there and taken to Rome to finish the race ; in the world you will have tribulation.

Acts 21 from our Bible Study this week:

22 And now, behold, I am going to Jerusalem, constrained by[d] the Spirit, not knowing what will happen to me there, 23 except that the Holy Spirit testifies to me in every city that imprisonment and afflictions await me.

25 And now, behold, I know that none of you among whom I have gone about proclaiming the kingdom will see my face again.

29 I know that after my departure fierce wolves will come in among you, not sparing the flock; 30 and from among your own selves will arise men speaking twisted things, to draw away the disciples after them.

... in the world you will have tribulation.

Ill.

My nephew Spencer a pilot in the Navy is in the Persian Gulf right now with the Abraham Lincoln strike force and U.S. build up in the conflict with Iran. I think to the time in January of 1991 when my brother, Tom also a Navy pilot and Spencer’s dad, was in the first wave of air strikes off the USS Ranger into Iraq. I thank the Lord for my brother’s safe return home from battle and pray for Spencer’s safety as he serves our nation but the thought of war touches us all, especially when we think of those who have not returned serving our nation and making the ultimate sacrifice as we remember them this Memorial Day.

The word of the gospel continues:

30 Now we know that you know all things and do not need anyone to question you; this is why we believe that you came from God.”
31 Jesus answered them, “Do you now believe?

You and I and everyone who follows Christ will see the tribulation promised.

32 Behold, the hour is coming, indeed it has come, when you will be scattered, each to his own home, and will leave me alone. Yet I am not alone, for the Father is with me.
The disciples deserted Jesus. The trial and tribulation forced them away in hiding.

There has been a time of falling away in the church, when things seem to be well and people experienced a time of prosperity, when they think little about Jesus and his word, but more about the joys of life, a time like now. That is when Satan will sift you like wheat, as he did with St. Peter and the other disciples in Luke 22:31, when St. Peter denied the Lord three times … even saying that “he didn’t even know the man.”

It is a time of falling away, a time of unbelief, a time of trusting the world and the flesh, and a time of doubt now. And like Peter today you may think “Not me Lord!” being ready to go to prison and even death for your faith in Christ. We pray that by the Holy Spirit we may stand firm.

33 I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world.” 

Christ has overcome so that you and I overcome!

That is where we find peace and comfort. Not in the things we do but in the things he has done.
In the name of the Father and of the Son + and of the Holy Spirit.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment