Monday, July 15, 2019

Sermon July 13-14, 2019

Title: By Christ’s Spirit we serve in mercy and love!
Text: Luke 10:25-37

37 He said, “The one who showed him mercy.” And Jesus said to him, “You go, and do likewise.”

In our text for today we read of a lawyer who stood up to put Jesus to the test. Now, this is not to be a sermon which lifts up or puts down the noble profession of attorneys. But it is the word of the Lord and we can all learn an important lesson.

The question that is asked - “Teacher, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?” - is a bit odd. How do you inherit anything? It might have been more direct if he had asked, “What must I do to earn eternal life?” because that is the question so many what to know.

In my business background we we’re always taught to answer a question with a question so that you could better get to the real objection. So Jesus, being the best at fleshing out the true meaning to the question that is asked of Him replies with a question.

26 He said to him, “What is written in the Law? How do you read it?”

Having the ball back in his court the lawyer recites the word giving a summary of the Moral Law correctly, according to Deut. 6: 5; Lev. 19: 18.

“You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind, and your neighbor as yourself.”

And I might add that he probably said it with a bit of boastful pride too!

Well, finally getting to the real objection, Jesus turns the prideful attorney’s answer back on himself when He says:

“You have answered correctly; do this, and you will live.”

The truth is, as Jesus quite rightly points out, no one, not even one who rightly knows the scripture can keep the Law of God perfectly. To know the Law and to keep the Law is two very different things. And, this command to love your neighbor as yourself really pushes us well beyond what we can do. Shoot, for many of us we can’t even love ourselves so how are we going to love others?

But, despite falling short God uses you and me, His children, and:

By Christ’s Spirit we serve in mercy and love!

You too, as we all do, tend to put Christ to the test. It’s the same word of God today as it was for the Lawyer and the same requirements that God demands and at times many believe they actually love God and their neighbor enough.

239 baptized and 205 confirmed members here at Peace but we worship less than 75 on a weekend. Now granted some have moved away and some attend elsewhere and have not yet asked to be removed from the roles. But, many just don’t come, maybe thinking that they’ve loved God enough and like the lawyer ask: “And who is my neighbor?”

God works through means and for better or worse that’s you and me. We are God’s hands in the world, bringing the love of Christ to a dying world and also to real people. As we learned last week with the sending of the 72 they went proclaiming peace and healing with the good news that the Kingdom of God was at hand.

Sometimes your neighbor needs a helping hand, when the ways of the world brings grief.

At times it is a prayer of comfort to let them know that you understand and will stand with them.

At times it might require a word of rebuke when they are going the wrong way in this life.

And as the church it might require a word of warning from us that to be away from God’s word and sacrament and the gift of worship and fellowship that He calls to participate in may lead to no communion and fellowship with him at all.

Many of the members of Peace need a call from their neighbor.

If you care about a member that you know that doesn’t attend give them a loving call. If they have needs look for ways to help. Remind them that God will never leave them of forsake them even if they’ve forsaken the assembly here at Peace and have self-excluded themselves from the church and the gifts God so longs to give them.

By Christ’s Spirit we serve in mercy and love!

Ill.

I went home Monday and was taking Tuesday off to make up for a few days I worked for funerals recently. I looked forward to a day off to finish up a few things I needed to do. At 6:44 in the morning a text came in. It was from my friend Jeff.

I'm sending this to several people this morning.
I unfortunately lost a set of keys up north this weekend.
My wife and son are both out of town and I'm looking for someone willing to drive me (in my vehicle) to Kalkaska to get my stranded car.
I have today off and wouldn't have to miss work.
(It's 3:15 minutes each way).
Please pardon the interruption.

J Bowdell

Now Jeff is an old friend. We met in 1965 and he lived across the street. We played in bands together. He has and would do anything for me if I asked. How could I pass by on the other side … though I really wanted a day off.

I sent this reply:

I have a committal at Crescent Hills Cemetery at 11 am. If you need me after that, I can take you up in my truck. Russ

Then I went about some of the things I needed to do, take bottles back to the store, put a few things away, got gas for my truck so I was ready for the trip and loaded up Monica’s VBS waterfall display and brought it over to the church. When I got here at 9:30 Jeff called …

“Hey thanks for the offer but I’m all set for the ride but I really appreciate your offer to drive me up!”

Sometimes you neighbor is your best friend and other times it may be someone you don’t even know. Would we react the same towards the one we don’t even know bringing care and help? I don’t know … we all would find it easier to help the friend but I’d home we might be willing to help the one in need whether friend or not.

As Jesus said in gospel reading of the Good Samaritan:

36 Which of these three, - the Priest, the Levite or the Samaritan - do you think, proved to be a neighbor to the man who fell among the robbers?” 37 He said, “The one who showed him mercy.” And Jesus said to him, “You go, and do likewise.”

In the name of the Father and of the Son + and of the Holy Spirit.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment