Saturday, October 31, 2020

Sermon Oct. 31, November 1, 2020 - All Saints day

Title: From tribulation to reconciliation is yours in Christ!
Text: Rev.7:9-17

Facebook Live: From tribulation to reconciliation is yours in Christ!

13 Then one of the elders addressed me, saying, “Who are these, clothed in white robes, and from where have they come?” 14 I said to him, “Sir, you know.” And he said to me, “These are the ones coming out of the great tribulation. They have washed their robes and made them white in the blood of the Lamb.

For me as a pastor All Saints Day is a special day as I think about all those who I’ve had the privilege to know and serve.

In my daily life too, I like you, have had my share of loss with loved ones, whether it was my mom or dad, grandmothers and grandfathers, aunts and uncles, friends and neighbors. It is never easy. Loss puts a period at the end of life saying, “No more will you and I interact together in this life!”

And while the daily interactions have ended, and though we miss those phone calls, visits and celebrations together, the promise for reunion is and remains for you and me as we wait for our own time of departure from this veil of tears.

3 See what kind of love the Father has given to us that we should be called children of God; and so we are. 1 John 3:1

As God’s children we have put on Christ, being buried with him in baptism and having washed our robes white in the blood of the lamb. We therefore are pictured and included with those who as a great innumerable multitude, from every nation, tribe, people and language - clothed in white robes – worship the Lamb

10 crying out with a loud voice, “Salvation belongs to our God who sits on the throne, and to the Lamb!”

The palm branches are real too and so is the promise of your presence there with the heavenly throng!

For now though, it remains a Yes, but not yet.

2 Beloved, we are God's children now, and what we will be has not yet appeared; but we know that when he [Jesus] appears we shall be like him, because we shall see him as he is. 1 John 3:2

The promise is ours, but not yet fully realized and the promise is sure and true, so you and I can have full confidence in God and his word.

Just as Christ Jesus came in the form of human flesh to redeem all flesh, so to his words to the crowd, who went up on the mountain to hear are our words to hear as well.

11 “Blessed are you when others revile you and persecute you and utter all kinds of evil against you falsely on my account. 12 Rejoice and be glad, for your reward is great in heaven, for so they persecuted the prophets who were before you. Matt. 5:11-12

Your reward is great in heaven!

I’d like to tell you about one Saint here at Peace that you won’t know, but will know as a dear friend one day.

John Stade was a neighbor of Veretta Cheals at Elmhaven Manor where they both lived. I met and visited with John there at Veretta’s request. When John was moved to Clarkston Specialty for more assisted care I continued to travel there and visit him.

John was confirmed at Gethsemane Lutheran Church in Rochester at 13 years of age in 1953. From his early adult life he had been away from regular attendance and this continued for many years. But through Veretta Cheal and my visits to her, the Lord used this time and this way to reconnect John to himself and our church to a lost sheep in need.

Each month I was privileged to bring John the news that was going on at church and the gifts of the Lord’s forgiveness in word and sacrament where he was - in his bed or in a wheelchair.

The last time I saw him was on a Sunday in April of 2018 after church when I drove to see him, though he was unresponsive. I went back to see him during the next week only to find his room empty.

Loss brings emotion and tears. It did for me not finding John. Even when I got home and told Monica she could see how John Stade’s death affected me asking me if I was alright.

As an under shepherd of Christ’s flock here at Peace I am given to the care of souls as an under shepherd of the Good Shepherd. The good Shepherd is Jesus and he is our model and our hope. In him we find comfort and peace and I hope to bring that same peace to others in need.

The hope that is Christ was my hope and privilege to bring to John in his place and to all who are given to my care, shut in or at hospital, or gathered here to hear this blessed comfort and good news that is Christ Jesus and his forgiveness, or joining with us on Facebook live at this time for many reasons.

Like Jesus upon hearing of the death of Lazarus - I too wept at John’s death.

Not being connected to his family the arrangements were made without me and my involvement with John was now completed. I felt loss and in a sense no closure. Death can do that for we who remain.

Revelations heavenly picture continues:

13 Then one of the elders addressed me, saying, “Who are these, clothed in white robes, and from where have they come?” 14 I said to him, “Sir, you know.” And he said to me, “These are the ones coming out of the great tribulation. They have washed their robes and made them white in the blood of the Lamb.”

Being brought to faith in Baptism makes you part of this great number from every nation, tribe, people and language.

That was the good news for those early believers too. They knew that this Jesus who had died on the cross was the same one who had risen from the dead and had been taken up to heaven and was the same Jesus who said:

3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and will take you to myself, that where I am you may be also. John 14:3

Dear friends, John Stade and the many other dear family, friends, Peace members, and countless others who have trusted in Jesus, have the promised eternity just as you and I do. We honor their memory this day and all the saints who from their labors rest, but more importantly we are honored by our loving heavenly Father who has brought us all into relationship with him through the life, death and resurrection of his beloved Son Jesus.

15 “Therefore they are before the throne of God,
and serve him day and night in his temple;
and he who sits on the throne will shelter them with his presence.

16 They shall hunger no more, neither thirst anymore;
the sun shall not strike them,
nor any scorching heat.

17 For the Lamb in the midst of the throne will be their shepherd,
and he will guide them to springs of living water,
and God will wipe away every tear from their eyes.”

Behold, you are part of that great multitude that no one can number! (Rev. 7:9)
As we come to the Lord’s Table today, in fellowship and communion, we receive a foretaste of the Kingdom of God promised and the reality of forgiveness in a real and tangible way. This gift is given and shed for you. Your place at the table is secure and in Jesus reunion in heaven awaits all you believe.

This is most certainly true!

In the name of the Father, and of the Son + and of the Holy Spirit!

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment