Monday, May 22, 2023

Sermon May 20-21, 2023 - 7th Sunday of Easter

Title: Christ’s desire is that you remain in him!
Text: John 17:1-11

Facebook live: Christ’s desire is that you remain in him!

11 And I am no longer in the world, but they are in the world, and I am coming to you. Holy Father, keep them in your name, which you have given me, that they may be one, even as we are one.

This past Monday I remembered my father on what would have been his 97th birthday. It seems like yesterday that I officiated at his funeral which was now some 10 years ago!

Sometimes, I think of conversations we had, and the wisdom he gave me. Sometimes, I think of funny things my dad did of things I’d wish he hadn’t done. We are sinners in a broken world but the gift of my father has blessed me for the entirety of my 68 years.

In his High Priestly Prayer Jesus prays to his father:

17… “Father, the hour has come; glorify your Son that the Son may glorify you, 2 since you have given him authority over all flesh, to give eternal life to all whom you have given him.
The gift of eternal life is given, not earned, and while heroes in this life deserve to be remembered … you don’t have to be a hero to receive the gift.

We receive all sorts of things in this life that we don’t deserve.

My parents and many of your parents sacrificed much to make sure that we had the very best they could give. We were fed and clothed, taught what was right and wrong and how to treat others.

My parents made sure that I received an education, even though I might have wanted to skip school and play, they knew this was important for me and would help me in the future.

At 48 when I went back to school to prepare for seminary I said to my dad when he asked me how my schooling was going, “It’s going well but all the other kids tell me their parents are paying for their schooling.”

My dad said,

“Well, that’s nice Russ … if you were still a kid I’d be paying too.”

As Christians my parents knew something else that was good for me too and Jesus makes it clear in his prayer.

3 that they know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom you have sent.

It was important for my parents that I knew Christ and that he knew me.

Why? Well Jesus says … this is eternal life … that we know the Father and Jesus who the Father has sent.

So, they brought me to the means that God gave and I was baptized and given new birth in baptism one month after being born. My parents knew this was good for me and knew that just as I needed their physical care around the clock, I also need the spiritual care that God could give me in his word and by his Spirit.

Most of us as children don’t know what we need. I didn’t know what I needed. But seeing my grandson Jackson, I understand now that when,

he’s hungry - he cries,
and when he needs changed - he cries,
and when he needs anything - he cries.
Maybe it is a sign of the death we are born into?

If children were born and left to make their own way … without their parent’s care … they would die.

So, God in his mercy has given parents and grandparents to care for the physical needs of those too young to care for themselves, and by his means of grace to his church, we as loving parents, bring God’s mercy and forgiveness to those in need … from the youngest to the oldest.

3 And this is eternal life that they know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom you have sent.

As Jesus said last week in our Gospel, he would not leave us as orphans to care for ourselves but that the Holy Spirit, the comforter who he was sending from the Father would bring true comfort.

This gift is given to you and me and all through the gifts of word and sacrament and it brings us all real peace.

Peace though in our world is fleeting. The war in Ukraine, and unrest at our southern border and in our cities - shows that our world is not at peace! Death too comes to those young and old in this life and we know not the day or hour.

Having laid to rest dear Peace member Jean Pilot last Thursday, the reality of death in our lives is real. It invades our comfort and security and is why it’s so important for us all to know him,

… who is the way the truth and the life – Jesus Christ – our Lord - the only way to the Father.

It’s comforting to know that in our text today, Jesus is praying for you and for me and for all far away, born in and struggling with sin, death, and the devil.

Jesus says:

9 I am praying for them. I am not praying for the world but for those whom you have given me, for they are yours.

This past Thursday was the day of the Ascension.

6 So when [the disciples] had come together, they asked [Jesus], “Lord, will you at this time restore the kingdom to Israel?” 7 He said to them, “It is not for you to know times or seasons that the Father has fixed by his own authority. 8 But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you, and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth.”

9 And when he had said these things, as they were looking on, he was lifted up, and a cloud took him out of their sight. 10 And while they were gazing into heaven as he went, behold, two men stood by them in white robes, 11 and said, “Men of Galilee, why do you stand looking into heaven? This Jesus, who was taken up from you into heaven, will come in the same way as you saw him go into heaven.”

So, we are here today as appointed witnesses of all that Jesus came to do and has done. We tell others by the working of his Spirit in us and Christ prays and interceded to the father on our behalf.

10 All mine are yours, and yours are mine, and I am glorified in them.

11 And I am no longer in the world, but they are in the world, and I am coming to you. Holy Father, keep them in your name, which you have given me, that they may be one, even as we are one.

In the name of the Father and of the Son + and of the Holy Spirit

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment