Monday, August 8, 2016

Sermon August 6-7, 2016

Title: Fear not, the Kingdom of Heaven is yours!
Text: Luke 12:22-34

32 “Fear not, little flock, for it is your Father's good pleasure to give you the kingdom.

J. Arthur Rank, an English executive, decided to do all his worrying on one day each week. He chose Wednesdays. When anything happened that gave him anxiety and annoyed his ulcer, he would write it down and put it in his worry box and forget about it until next Wednesday. The interesting thing was that on the following Wednesday when he opened his worry box, he found that most of the things that had disturbed him the past six days were already settled. It would have been useless to have worried about them.

Source unknown

22 And [Jesus] said to his disciples, “Therefore I tell you, do not be anxious about your life, what you will eat, nor about your body, what you will put on. 23 For life is more than food, and the body more than clothing.

Following of Gospel from last week and the storing up in bigger barns the things of this life Jesus now speaks to the anxiety that accompanies us during our life. “What to do, what to eat, what to wear, where to go or not go – should I stay with my employer or find new work?” Have you asked yourselves these questions? For those who are reaching or have reached retirement age the questions continue. “When should I retire? Should I go earlier or wait until 67? Should I work after retirement, volunteer, or find a hobby?”

All are these are important decisions in life, but our Lord reminds us:

24 Consider the ravens: they neither sow nor reap, they have neither storehouse nor barn, and yet God feeds them. Of how much more value are you than the birds!

Ill.

Last year I moved my bird feeder to my front yard. In the back my dogs would run out to chase the birds and also the squirrels that eat the seed that falls to the ground from the feeder. Out in the front the birds eat to their contentment. There are such a variety - blue jays and sparrows, cardinals and mourning doves, blackbirds and woodpeckers and all looking for food. Because my dogs are not involved and there is no disruption of the meal they seem to clean me out in a day or two. Every last drop of food is consumed.

As I mentioned to Monica … “I can’t feed every bird in God’s creation every day so they them may have to look else ware and trust in God’s bountiful blessings and promises to feed them- because I’m only filling it once a week!”

But, it’s not about the birds or even the Lilies - who are clothed in greater glory we’re told than even Solomon in all his glory could have hoped to be bestowed with. The birds aren’t knocking on my door saying, “Where’s the food … we’re hungry!” They just find it somewhere else … for a time.

30 For all the nations of the world seek after these things, and your Father knows that you need them. 31 Instead, seek his kingdom, and these things will be added to you.

Ill.

In my former life as a manager and salesman I remember a time of great worry. Maybe you’ve had a similar experience:

I had worked for the company for over 20 years but my boss Jim had changed. He wasn’t talkative with me like he had been. He seemed distant and uninterested or even mad at me. I worried a bit about it. “What had I done?” I thought I must have been the cause of the problem and maybe even that my job was in jeopardy.

What I found out years later was that this was during the time that he was trying to finalize the purchase of the business from his dad. There had been tensions and he was also doing all that he could to raise the capital to make it happen … remortgage his life if you will so that he could assume the business debt and inventory from his dad. The problem was not with me at all but with my boss and after the trial of this business change life returned to a more normal feel. I just didn’t know the cause or solution. My worry caused my business and home life to suffer a bit and it was completely unnecessary. Had I just trusted in the Lord and not my own worry I might have had greater comfort.

This spring I was the speaker for the LWML Zone Rally. It was a fun time to share my story that I titled, "Trust in the Lord - A pastor's journey from Rock n’ Roll to the Rock of Ages." The text was Proverbs 3:5-6:

Proverbs 3:5-6 (NKJV)

5 Trust in the LORD with all your heart,
And lean not on your own understanding;
6 In all your ways acknowledge Him,
And He shall direct your paths.

Back in the 70’s I played on an album by James Issac Elliot. He went on to become quite a songwriter in Nashville. At the time of my participation he was just starting out. He took Proverbs 3:5-8 and wrote a song called Trust in the Lord.

Trust in the LORD          James Isaac Elliot

Trust in the LORD with all your heart
and do not lean on your own understanding.
In all your ways acknowledge him
and he will direct your paths.

Trust in the LORD with all your heart
and do not lean on your own understanding.
In all your ways acknowledge him
and he will direct your paths.

Be not wise in your own eyes
fear the LORD, depart from evil.
It will bring healing to your body
and strength to your bones.

Trust in the LORD with all your heart
and do not lean on your own understanding.
In all your ways acknowledge him
and he will direct your paths.

(Proverbs 3:5-8 NKJV)

32 “Fear not, little flock, for it is your Father's good pleasure to give you the kingdom.

The stuff you’re storing up? Sell it! Jesus says. Give to those in need and use the money or riches that doesn’t grow old or isn’t worthless as the day approaches for your departure. Because, the treasure that will have real value is stored up for you in heaven and is accessed by the power of God in you by faith through the working of the Holy Spirit.

In baptism you were clothed by God with the royal robes of the God/man Jesus Christ himself. Nothing in this life compares to the perfect righteousness that is freely given through the proclamation of the gospel and this Good News is the treasure of the Kingdom of God given in Christ for the redemption of all who believe.

34 For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.

In the name of the Father and of the Son + and of the Holy Spirit.

Amen












No comments:

Post a Comment