Monday, October 14, 2019

Sermon October 5-6, 2019

Title: Do not fear for the gospel is light and life!
Text: 2 Timothy 1:1-14

8 Therefore do not be ashamed of the testimony about our Lord, nor of me his prisoner, but share in suffering for the gospel by the power of God, 9 who saved us and called us to a holy calling, not because of our works but because of his own purpose and grace, which he gave us in Christ Jesus before the ages began,

This was a busy week, and will be a busy weekend and beginning of the new week. Prep for a wedding and rehearsal on Friday with the wedding on Saturday, services on Saturday and Sunday and then I leave for the All Pastor’s Conference on Sunday returning on Tuesday.

You might think that this could be my most difficult week and give me pause with all that was needed to do and get done? Well, you would be wrong.

No … my most difficult day as a pastor was January 7th 2013.

That was the Monday after my ordination and installation as Pastor here at Peace when I came to the church to begin my service and realized that my friend and mentor Pastor Bill Merrell had retired, was not here, and it was me – alone - who now needed to move forward with the task and responsibility of shepherding the flock that is Peace Lutheran Church.

Pastor Merrell and I have worked together here in many ways are closer to being siblings, brothers if you will than the father and son image that Paul portrays in our reading but he was and is my spiritual father and mentor.

Paul writes:

3 I thank God whom I serve, as did my ancestors, with a clear conscience, as I remember you constantly in my prayers night and day.

The apostle who was called directly by Jesus on the road to Damascus into his service was not called as we who serve the church as called today. He received this call from Christ himself and places this emphasis on the will of God in Christ whom he serves – with a clear conscience.

Timothy began his journey of service with the gift of God in a different way having his sincere faith, a faith that dwelt first in [his] grandmother Lois and [his] mother Eunice and now, I am sure, dwells in you as well.

Many of us came to faith by the working of the Holy Spirit through the word connected in Holy Baptism and then imparted to us and built in us through the faith and teaching of our grandparents and parents. Timothy’s mother Eunice was a Jewess and believer in Christ while his father was a Greek and during Paul’s second missionary journey with Silas Timothy joined them for their missionary work and a new calling on him and his life. Acts 16:1-5

Paul writing from prison writes to encourage Timothy in the face of trials as many of us during difficult times receive text messages of support today from those important figures in our lives.

Another brother pastor, mentor and dear friend is Pastor Paul Monson who preached at my ordination while Pastor Merrell officiated. Shortly after being installed I was invited to go to a Red wings game and Pastor Monson was there as well with our mutual friend Paul … no not that Paul.

As we were walking up to the gate for entrance I mentioned how blessed I was that God was allowing me to play the part of pastor at Peace Lutheran church. Pastor Monson stopped dead in his tracks, turned, looked me straight in the eye and said, “Russ, you are the pastor of Peace!”

I knew it. I believed it. I simply meant that it was by God’s will and not mine but Pastor monsoon wanted to hit me between the eyes with this reality so that there was no confusion.

Paul tells Timothy:

fan into flame the gift of God, which is in you through the laying on of my hands,

Paul is reminding Timothy that he has been called to serve as a messenger of Christ in the same way as Paul - but through a different means and purpose. The laying on of hands confers the same blessing of God as it did then by Paul or fellow pastors today.

7 for God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control.

At times you might feel doubt about your calling as God’s child. You might feel the need commit yourself anew to Christ. Some even think that they should be re-baptized as testimony of their commitment to Christ.

Was Christ work insufficient? Was the word of God not spoken clearly? Was the water missing? Did the pastor forget something?

I baptize you in the name of the Father and of the Son + and of the Holy Spirit is God’s promise upon you and for you connected to the water so that you need not have any doubt. His work never fails and you can rest in God’s assurance that you are baptized and forgiven in Christ.

Our doubt does not negate God’s work. His promise and work and is secure.

Pastors are ordained once and though their call, place or type of service may change and they may be installed for different works they’re doubt in the midst of service does not require a re-ordination.

Luther had this to say about Paul as he battled false apostles in his lectures on Galatians of 1535 standing up to even St. Peter the pillar of the apostles, affirming that his call was not from men; that he had not received it from men but from the revelation of Jesus Christ.

Luther concludes: But what does Paul intend by his bragging? I reply: This doctrine has at its purpose that every minister of the word of God should be sure of his calling. In the sight of God and man he should boldly glory that he preaches the Gospel as one who has been called and sent.

Luther’s Works American Ed. Vol. 26 Lectures on Galatians 1535 CPH 1963 pg. 15-16

For Timothy and for us all Paul encourages to stand firm.

8 Therefore do not be ashamed of the testimony about our Lord, nor of me his prisoner, [in chains in Rome] but share in suffering for the gospel by the power of God,

You and I have a different call but it is the same Christ.

You and I have a different service but it is the same gospel.

Paul was called directly by Christ.

Timothy through the laying on of Paul’s hands

I was called by this congregation and my ordination here at Peace.

You and I through our baptism to be God’s people for service to our children and to be his messengers in a dark world where the light of Christ need to shine brightly.

9 who saved us and called us to a holy calling, not because of our works but because of his own purpose and grace, which he gave us in Christ Jesus before the ages began, 10 and which now has been [made known] through the appearing of our Savior Christ Jesus, who abolished death and brought life and immortality to light through the gospel,

Dear friends: The gospel is never anything but Good News, whether from your lips to ears that need to hear, or from mine. We just have a different call and service to our Lord.

11 for which I was appointed Paul says: a preacher and apostle and teacher,
Paul in writing to his beloved child Timothy tells him:

8 … do not be ashamed of the testimony about our Lord, nor of me his prisoner,

He says,

12 … I am not ashamed, for I know whom I have believed, and I am convinced that he is able to guard until that day what has been entrusted to me.

Friends, this is our hope too. Not just for Timothy, and not just for pastors but for you and for me as his beloved children as he wrote in another letter at another time for another people from a prison cell:

6 being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus. Phi 1:6 NIV

In the name of the Father and of the Son + and of the Holy Spirit.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment