Thursday, March 19, 2020

Sermon March 20, 2020 Joan Rich Funeral

Title: Be not afraid ... behold your God!
Text: Isaiah 40:9-11

Sermon audio: Be not afraid ... behold your God!

9 O Zion, that bringest good tidings, get thee up into the high mountain; O Jerusalem, that bringest good tidings, lift up thy voice with strength; lift it up, be not afraid; say unto the cities of Judah, Behold your God!

10 Behold, the Lord God will come with strong hand, and his arm shall rule for him: behold, his reward is with him, and his work before him.

11 He shall feed his flock like a shepherd: he shall gather the lambs with his arm, and carry them in his bosom, and shall gently lead those that are with young.

Dear friends, family and loved ones of our beloved Joan.

Joan’s passing feels like family. Not just a member of my church family but kinship, a sister, flesh and blood and not just a sister in the Lord.

It has been a blessing to know Joan and the family over these last 19 years of my life here at Peace. We all came to Peace in transfer from other churches 2001.

Joan was faithful in attendance and in service. Nothing was done out of obligation or law but all out joy and service. The good tiding that Isaiah speaks of was the joy of Joan’s hope and the peace and comfort she trusted proclaimed from the high mountains or valleys of her existence.

We worked together in lay service together. Joan was a stable and comforting presence in all of our meetings that at times can be stressful and challenging. She always acted in Christian love and that servant heart remains active in the family as they attend and serve the needs of the church and people here at Peace and in the community.

Our relationship as coworkers changed a bit in 2009 when I was asked by Pastor Merrell and the church to consider a new pastoral formation program our synod had adopted and to serve here as pastor. In one of our visits together at Joan’s home she said to me:

“Pastor, I must admit that I had my doubts but I said Lord you know all things and I will trust that you know this as well.”

At times over the last 10 years serving here as Vicar and now Pastor I’ve had my doubts as well. I’ve shared those doubts and concerns with Joan even saying as we talked, “You know maybe it’s time for me to step back and let the Lord bring someone new to care for the people here?” Joan was great comfort and strength to me and my ministry here as so many have been.

Over the years and visits, I’ve had great joy visiting Joan in her home, care facilities and hospitals bringing bulletins, Portals or Prayers and the Lord’s Supper.

We talked about the loss of her beloved Jimmy and friendship with fellow member Sue Vogt and her high school girlfriends that have kept in touch over so many years.

But Joan’s joy of joys outside of the Lord was her family. Our visits allowed her to share her joys and concerns.

On one visit she might say: “Pastor, my boys!” J

And on the next: “Pastor! My boys! L

Even in the midst of cancer and suffering, self doubt and fear Joan was a voice of strength. She shared the Lord’s peace with me and her confidence in his guiding protection and will, whether the first diagnosis of cancer or the recurring.

Her joys went from her boys to their beloved wives, from big Jess to little Jess, from weddings to the blessings of grandchildren Atara and Ryan Anthony to those yet to come and to be named. They will like us all have Joan’s make of love upon them.

But the mark Joan truly loved and desires is the mark of Christ.

The Lord had made her new in the waters of Holy Baptism in 1945 and in his hands Jesus has promised to hold her and never let her fall and that promise she confirmed at Cedar Crest Lutheran Church just two and a half miles from here in back in 1959.

The mark of Christ was placed upon her own children and now is seen in the lives of her grandchildren and great grandchildren. It is the mark of hope for our eternity promised in our gospel reading for today:

14 “Let not your hearts be troubled. Believe in God; believe also in me. 2 In my Father's house are many rooms. If it were not so, would I have told you that I go to prepare a place for you? 3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and will take you to myself, that where I am you may be also.

My visits with Joan privately were a joy not only because she liked to talk but she liked strong coffee and we shared both together. Our visits always lasted long. As I would say to our secretary Debbie, “I’m going to see Joan … not sure when I’ll be back!”

What a privilege to be the hands and feet of Jesus for Joan and so many of our dear loved ones here at Peace. It was a true blessing for Joan not seeing me … Russ but seeing Jesus in his under shepherd bringing forgiveness just for her.

On one of my last visits I brought my guitar. I thought singing a few hymns would be good. I began with Precious Lord:

Precious Lord, take my hand,
Lead me on, Let me stand;
I am tired, I am weak, I am worn.

I thought it would be a simple one to sing but the tears flowed.

lift up thy voice with strength; lift it up, be not afraid; say unto the cities of Judah, Behold your God!

Joan closed her eyes in Jesus on Monday March 16 with her beloved boys by her side.

When the darkness appears,
And the night draws near,
And the day is almost gone,
At the river I stand;
Guide my feet hold my hand,
Take my hand, precious Lord; lead me home.

The Lord took Joan’s hand at her baptism, marked her as his child and has never left her even for a moment. He was with her even before the foundation of the world and had written her name in the Lamb’s book of life. He was with her during the joys of her family life with Jimmy and at tragic loss. He lifted her when the news of cancer came and brought peace and joy in the weddings she attended just months ago. She smiled at her grand babies and cried when I visited knowing Jesus would call her away from the joys of this life to the greater joy of eternal life void of sin, death and the working of the devil.

3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and will take you to myself, that where I am you may be also. 4 And you know the way to where I am going.” 5 Thomas said to him, “Lord, we do not know where you are going. How can we know the way?” 6 Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

Joan knew God peace and way!

Death’s sting has been swallowed up in victory by our Lord Jesus Christ and we can have comfort in His blessed work and this blessed Good News that in and through Jesus Christ God and man have been reconciled.

You too have this home waiting for you. The blessed Good News that Jesus died for your sins is the wonderful Gospel message you can trust.

Jesus has forgiven your sin and by the power of the Holy Spirit, in you, has given you the faith to believe in His saving work. That’s a place prepared for you, forgiven in Christ, and an eternity with our Lord and savior Jesus that you can trust.

Rock of Ages, cleft for me,
Let me hide myself in Thee;
Let the water and the blood,
From Thy riven side which flowed,
Be of sin the double cure,
Save me from its guilt and power.

While I draw this fleeting breath,
When mine eyes shall close in death,
When I soar to worlds unknown,
See Thee on Thy judgment throne,
Rock of Ages, cleft for me,
Let me hide myself in Thee.

Be not afraid … behold your God!

In the name of the Father and of the Son + and of the Holy Spirit!

Amen

 

 

 



No comments:

Post a Comment