Monday, December 20, 2021

Sermon Friday December 17, 2021 Funeral for Marion I. Regentin

Title: Forgiven and loved!
Text: 2 Cor. 4:16-18 

Facebook live:  Forgiven and loved!

16 So we do not lose heart. Though our outer self is wasting away, our inner self is being renewed day by day. 17 For this light momentary affliction is preparing for us an eternal weight of glory beyond all comparison, 18 as we look not to the things that are seen but to the things that are unseen. For the things that are seen are transient, but the things that are unseen are eternal.

Dear friends, family and loved ones of our beloved Marion.

I’m Pastor Russ Tkac from Peace Lutheran Church in Waterford. I’ve been blessed to be Marion’s pastor for the last few years. Though Marion had many health problems over these last few years you can have comfort as I do that she is resting in the arms of Jesus.

I’m not sure how I’ll deal with Marion’s passing as I move forward. Granted, I visit and have visited quite a few members who are home bound and required visits to their homes, care facilities, and hospitals. With Marion, I think I’ve been to them all to see her.

Most of my visits were to her apartment in Waterford. Always neat and well-kept Marion – with and O and not an A - as she made sure I knew - took pride in her home as she did with her family. Always full of joy and stories of her children, grandchildren, greatgrandchildren and their lives, our visits were simple as we sat and shared stories and talked.

When I would call her to set up a visit, she always wanted to know how I was doing? Having a history at St. Trinity and St. Stephens I was privileged to be added as one of her churches and pastors.

Marion dealt with trial and suffering in her life and with the loss of her dear Billy and more recently the loss of her dear Ruth – “Pastor, she told me once, she was my sister not a sister-n-law.”

Thankfully she was surrounded always by loving family who cared for her daily needs and doctor visits. Moving her to add to her own obituary that she was very happy because she was very loved!

Grandma “Teen-teen” of 16 blessed with 30 great grandchildren and 4 great-great grandchildren, Marion was blessed and truly loved.

The Apostle Paul writes:

16 So we do not lose heart. Though our outer self is wasting away, our inner self is being renewed day by day.

So, though we grieve and are sad at Marion’s passing, we can have comfort as well.

Our visits always included the Lord’s Supper and for that she was always thankful. She would bow her head and fold her hands in prayer for this special and comforting gift. It was Christ himself coming in his forgiving presence and allowing me to be the hands, feet and voice of Jesus just for her.

When Covid hit it required a change but Scott, Sue and Marion were faithful attenders on our Facebook live feed.

Marion though had a heart to heart with Scott as he told me, “Scott, you have to get me up earlier so I can get dressed for church!”

No, bathrobe wearing, church going lady there. Marion would be properly dressed for church!

That’s old school! Marion knew from where she came.

2 And you were dead in the trespasses and sins Eph. 2:1

4 But God, being rich in mercy, because of the great love with which he loved us, 5 even when we were dead in our trespasses, made us alive together with Christ—by grace you have been saved— 6 and raised us up with him and seated us with him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus Eph 2:4-6

Marion knew that wonderful truth. But he also knew even better news! That her eternal home was prepared for her - body and soul – as, child, wife, sister, mother, grandmother, great grandmother and beloved dear friend.

So, though we grieve Marion’s passing, we can have comfort as well. She knew her savior Jesus and Jesus knew her.

27 My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me. 28 I give them eternal life, and they will never perish, and no one will snatch them out of my hand.

And if Marion has her way a little banjo music will accompany her walk into glory!

Doing a little search, there were 19 references to straw in the Bible but not one for Turkey. She’ll have to make a special request for Turkey in the straw at the throne of grace!

The Apostle Paul continues:

17 For this light momentary affliction is preparing for us an eternal weight of glory beyond all comparison,

Marion knew Christ was her strength. Lord knows that only through the strength of another could one endure all that she endured. In Christ, Marion had that strength, but God works through means and God’s strength came to Marion through the means Sue and Scott who brought that strength to her as they cared for her daily needs.

Marion had been a care giver so it is only fitting that care came to her from those she loved and by those who loved her. We all can’t be there or bring care in the same way. We all don’t live in the area so God gifts and blesses those who are close and can bring the care.

At times Marion appreciated being able to speak to me frankly.

We all were loved - but we all aren’t perfect and she needed to speak about that which burdened and bothered her – to me, about even those she loved, me included. She was kind to me and a dear friend.

She was a Sunday School teacher after all and no one wanted to be called to that desk!

Despite the hammer of repentance that we all needed to come to, the good news is that Jesus has promised to not lose a single one the Father had given him and that included dear Marion Regentin.

27 My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me. 28 I give them eternal life, and they will never perish, and no one will snatch them out of my hand.

Marion knew her sins were forgiven on account of Jesus’ death on the cross.

She knew that because Jesus rose from the dead, she would too.

She knew Heaven was her eternal home and that Jesus had prepared a place for her, so that even with the veil of death lurking at the door and waiting to cover her, she had the blessed hope of reunion forever with Jesus and with all the dearly departed who have gone to their eternal rest in the Lord before him.

The Apostle Paul concludes:

18 as we look not to the things that are seen but to the things that are unseen. For the things that are seen are transient, but the things that are unseen are eternal.

You too have this wonderful home waiting for you in Christ.

The blessed Good News that Jesus died for your sins is the wonderful Gospel message you too can believe and trust.

Jesus has forgiven your sin and by the power of the Holy Spirit, in you, has given you faith to believe in His saving work and receive a place prepared for you, forgiven in Christ and forever with our Lord and savior Jesus, and that’s a Heaven and an eternity you can inherit just like Marion.

It was a death that shook the very foundation of this world as Satan fought in every way to keep Jesus from standing in Marion’s place and in your place as well.

In First Corinthians St. Paul writes:

55 “O death, where is your victory? O death, where is your sting?”

56 The sting of death is sin, and the power of sin is the law. 57 But thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.

58 Therefore, my beloved brothers, be steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, knowing that in the Lord your labor is not in vain. 1 Cor. 15:54-58

Marion received that victory in baptism as one marked redeemed by Christ the crucified and now leaves the mortal bonds of this life behind.

She was prepared, she was forgiven, and she was loved and will be with Jesus forever because Christ has promised:

And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and will take you to myself, that where I am you may be also. John 14:3

Praise be to the God the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ who has prepared a place not only for Marion … but for you and me as well.

May the Lord comfort you with this blessed good news now and forever!

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment