Monday, August 3, 2026

Sermon Aug. 1-2, 2026

Title: The Lord gives all that we need!
Matt. 14:13-21

Facebook live: The Lord gives all that we need!

19Then he ordered the crowds to sit down on the grass, and taking the five loaves and the two fish, he looked up to heaven and said a blessing. Then he broke the loaves and gave them to the disciples, and the disciples gave them to the crowds. 20And they all ate and were satisfied.

He was in the hospital, so I needed to make a visit.
A routine doctor visit caused the doctor call an ambulance to take him to the hospital.
It was more serious than they first expected.
It was going to require surgery.
It was Friday afternoon.

When I arrived, he seemed to be doing alright. Nothing, looked out of the ordinary. I gave him communion and we talked. I had a prayer for successful surgery and told him that I’ll see him again after surgery and to rest easy.

I got a call on Monday.
Mark had passed.
He didn’t get to the surgery that was planned because he had a heart attack as he was being prepped for surgery.

I was shocked to say the least.
I needed time to be alone.
This was unexpected.

So too Jesus.

Death has a way of getting your attention.
What had been, is no more.
John the Baptist had been beheaded in prison …
And Jesus withdrew from there in a boat to a desolate place by himself.
Human emotion calls us to withdraw, separate, and to renew.
Jesus needed time to process John’s death.
Sometimes you don’t get that time.
But when the crowds heard it, they followed him on foot from the towns.

Do you ever feel like that?

The crowd just won’t let you rest.
You just want a few minutes to process things,
to be by yourself.
Loss has taken its toll.

Friends, I’m no Jesus, and neither are you.

We feel loss and the suffering and grief can need time to process.
At times, time is not what we have.

“Pastor, can I see you for a moment?”
The sinful self wants to scream.

Thankfully Jesus shows us another way.

14 When he went ashore, he saw a great crowd, and he had compassion on them and healed their sick.

Compassion is defined: as a deep feeling of care for others that leads to an active desire to help.

Sin tears compassion apart.
We look inward.

“Can’t you see? I’m hurting!”
We don’t often see, and often can’t see the pain others are suffering.

But Jesus can!

15 Now when it was evening, the disciples came to him and said, “This is a desolate place, and the day is now over; send the crowds away to go into the villages and buy food for themselves.”

The disciples see the need, but the answer is to send them away.
Pain and suffering can cause us to send those in need in our lives away too.

Can you help me? No!
Do you have a few minutes? No!

16 But Jesus said, “They need not go away; you give them something to eat.”

But, we don’t … and We can’t … and like the disciples …

17 … “We have only five loaves here and two fish.”

When you can’t, when you don’t, and when you won’t, you have to come to Jesus.
Jesus can, Jesus does, and Jesus will.

Jesus can.

Because he hears your prayers and cries for help. It is his desire to always hear the pleas of his children.

John 9:31

31 We know that God does not listen to sinners, but if anyone is a worshiper of God and does his will, God listens to him.

Deuteronomy 31:8

8 It is the Lord who goes before you. He will be with you; he will not leave you or forsake you. Do not fear or be dismayed.”

Jesus does.

Because he has promised to hear and to answer.

Psalm 116:2
Because he inclined his ear to me, therefore I will call on him as long as I live.

Psalm 118:5
Out of my distress I called on the Lord; the Lord answered me and set me free.

Psalm 138:3
On the day I called, you answered me; my strength of soul you increased.

Jesus will.

Matthew 11:28
Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.

John 14:6
6 Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the father except through me.

The disciples know …

17 … “We have only five loaves here and two fish.”
18 And [Jesus] says, “Bring them here to me.”

The trouble, the fear, the wants and the needs have to go to Jesus.

Jesus is our Sabbath rest.

There is no other help that makes sense.
There is no other help that brings peace.
There is no other help that brings forgiveness.

19 Then Jesus ordered the crowds to sit down on the grass, and taking the five loaves and the two fish, he looked up to heaven and said a blessing. Then he broke the loaves and gave them to the disciples, and the disciples gave them to the crowds.

Jesus broke the loves and gave them to the disciples and they fed the crowd. Five thousand men besides women and children. A sizeable number of people and all were satisfied.

There were twelve baskets full of broken pieces that remained as a reminder for the disciples of what the Lord had done and could do. The gospel remains for me and you as a sign of what Christ has done and can do in our lives.

That what seems impossible for man is possible with God. He is able to fill the impossible in our lives and to use us to fill the impossible in others’ lives.

We bring our needs to Jesus and we come to him with thanksgiving for all that he has done for us.

The Lord gives all that we need!

In the name of the Father and of the Son + and of the Holy Spirit.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment